Isabelle Joshua

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Review: Replica

Replica Replica by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to this book, and Lyra's story was first. I was very interested in the plot line, the clones, her story-telling about the new world for her, the relationship with 72. I wasn't ready for it to be over, but there were times that my mind drifted and I wasn't paying attention, this is rare if I love the book. Then I listened to Gemma's story and didn't like her very much. I understand why Lyra thought she was a monster; she'd been told that and treated as such for years by the Haven employees. But Gemma and April and the internal dialog about clones being monsters irritated me and the juvenile drama between them. Do teenagers really act so dumb and immature, maybe, but I didn't like it. It rubbed me the wrong way and the book started to fall flat for me. Especially when I realized that Gemma's story wasn't going to finish the book for me, but this is most likely a trilogy. I'm not sure if I want to spend more energy on this story, I would for Lyra's part with 72, but not crazy about Gemma and her instant love. So it was okay and an interesting story. I've read Lauren Oliver in the past and loved some of her books (like Delirium) and others I just liked and some I couldn't get past the first chapter. But many others like it, and it is definitely YA Fantasy!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment