Isabelle Joshua

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Review: Night Owl (Night Owl Series Book 1)

Night Owl Night Owl by M. Pierce
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Disclaimer: I began reading this book for the simple fact that it was mentioned as having dealt with alternating voices for each chapter well and I began reading it for research purposes. Also, I don't usually prefer erotic novels. I like romance and I enjoy the hot scenes, but when the erotic novels use BDSM or other types of sex play, it isn't usually my cup of tea.

This book started out fast with the erotic scenes. I was disappointed that it lacked a substantial plot or character development, the sex is rough and male dominated. Hannah's decisions and position in the relationship is weaker, and it isn't explained why except for his good looks, and she can't talk when he's near. So many times, Matt is an asshole, and she doesn't allow him to apologize (if he thought he should even) or expect him too. I didn't understand the need for a writing partner because it didn't go anywhere except for being the catalyst that brought them together. There were many things in the story that reminded me of Fifty Shades, but this is definitely written better although you could say not as original. The alternating voices was effective and seamless.

Despite all this, I read it very quickly, and I was pulled into the story, and the plot and character development came later. After a few chapters, I wondered if I would continue with the series, but towards the end, I did want to know what happened to Matt and Hannah.

So this is not one I would recommend to anyone unless you did like an erotic novel that was similar to Fifty Shades of Grey. I don't tend to read erotic novels and this series besides Fifty Shades is probably only the second or third erotic book I've read. Cara McKenna comes to mind as the other author I've read that writes erotica.

In the end, I did like the characters and the story, but I most likely wouldn't read it again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment